[clue-tech] Switching to Qwest DSL soon, any suggestions?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Jun 13 03:57:10 MDT 2007

On Jun 12, 2007, at 11:28 PM, Roy J. Tellason wrote:

> On Tuesday 12 June 2007 19:26, Warren Turkal wrote:
>> On Tuesday 12 June 2007 11:50, Roy J. Tellason wrote:
>>> This sounds like the same crap I was given from Verizon about them
>>> only "supporting" windoze and mac...
>>
>> Okay, so do something about it and support ISPs that support other
>> options
>> like Speakeasy. I hate to see all this discussion when there are
>> perfectly
>> good service options that support Linux out there.
>
> They charge more than double what I'm paying now,  so no,  I don't
> think so.

Nothing new here, "You get what you pay for."

Sub $30 "broadband" access is typically sub-standard and low quality,
all around.

If it's not stupid practices like requiring Windows to do the initial
setup (to supposedly help their installation techs who often have no
clue about computers get installs done faster so they can be on to
the next house), it'll be latency, bandwidth that varies wildly by
time of day and how much it's over-subscribed upstream, and
completely clueless outsourced tech support who only know how to read
from a script.

Support a local Colorado company that does things right -- even if
they use Qwest as transport to get to them.  There's a reason people
fought via the Colorado PUC to have Qwest open their local DSLAM's up
like a common-carrier pipeline (and Comcast should be forced to do
this, too... but they're not).

I have used and will continue to support Front Range Internet.
(www.frii.net)  Local techs with a clue, and never seen a bottleneck
ever on my DSL service with multiple static IP's.  If you're
comparing their non-static-IP service to Qwest's offerings without
MSN, they're probably $10/month more.  And well worth it.

And you get to go to bed at night knowing you're supporting local
techs with real jobs, not McJobs where someone reads you a script
from their screen at some outsourced Qwest call center.

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com