[clue-tech] Installfest, less than 3 days!

Warren Turkal wt at penguintechs.org
Fri May 18 15:06:25 MDT 2007

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 03:59:04PM -0500, Mark Cuny wrote:
> Hi, I've been a lurker on the list for quite a while, and haven't been able
> to come to any of the meetings or installfests.  I've recently gotten my
> hands on a Sun 220R (I have a Sun keyboard and mouse, and it has a standard
> vga connection) and would love to install Linux on it (I am downloading the
> iso's for SPARC Debian 4.0).  Would you guys have room so I could install
> it?  This would be the first time I've tried installing Linux on a Sun box,
> and if anyone has tried it before, I would love some pointers.  I've worked
> with Linux since 1995 and Unix since 1991, but I have taken the last two
> years off of any Linux/Unix work, so I am a bit rusty.

If you have installed Debian on any other architecture, you have
everything you need to know to install on a Sparc. The only problem
would be if the Debian kernel doesn't support all the hardware on your
system. Alternative architectures usually don't see the same level of
hardware support as mainstream architectures. However, PCI based Sparcs
should be pretty well supported considering that a lot of the hardware
they use is close to the same as the ia32 stuff.

wt
--
Warren Turkal
Penguin Techs...Taking the "hertz" out of gigahertz!(TM)