[clue-tech] FreeNX.

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Tue Dec 9 07:31:20 MST 2008

----- clue-tech-request at cluedenver.org wrote:
> Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 18:42:55 -0700
> From: "David L. Anselmi" <anselmi at anselmi.us>
> Subject: [clue-tech] FreeNX.
> To: CLUE tech <clue-tech at cluedenver.org>
>
> Anyone using FreeNX?  Is it really "cool tech wrapped up in a writhing evil of
> shell scripts and bizarre interface decisions"?
>
> And then I see http://partiwm.org/wiki/xpra.  "So basically it's
> screen for remote X apps."  That sounds cool.
>
> Dave

Dave and company:

Think of NX as better than TightVNC via ssh with compression.  So Citrix like without the price tag, but Linux and Solaris host systems only.

Linux ETC uses is quite a bit with remote clients where there is a need for a GUI as well as to access multiple systems being a single point of entry.

Also to note I would strongly recommend the NoMachine free version installation packages (rpm, dpkg, and tarballs) from the NoMachine site versus some of the distribution "maintained versions".  We have experienced some issues in the CentOS and Fedora arenas that affected ssh and general logins which were a PITA to fix via remote.

HTH and do enjoy it! B-)  By the way I get this list in Digest format, so pardon any delays in responding.

--- Crawford