[clue-tech] FreeNX.

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Dec 9 17:12:07 MST 2008

Michael Fierro wrote:

> The performance is good enough that I tend to forget what apps are local
> and what apps are remote. I'll try and play an audio file and wonder why
> the hell I can't hear anything. Then I realize that it's a remote app, and
> the sound is actually playing on my workstation at home. I have received a
> complaint or two from my wife when music or sounds all of a sudden start
> playing in an empty room. :)

I've done that too.

The thing that "surprised" me lately was that Microsoft's remote
solution even sends the audio over to the remote "head" machine, if the
feature is turned on.

One of those "it just works" kind of things.

I kept wondering, "Why am I hearing that?" when I knew I was working on
a remote machine recently.

I was on someone else's laptop that was connected via Remote Desktop to
another machine across town, both running some flavor of XP.

I guess this has been in Remote Desktop on MS now since the initial
release of XP, or one of the Service Packs.  (I don't know, I don't
track such things from MS, but it's been around for quite a while my
friend tells me.)

Anyone know of ANY remote access applications on Linux or OSX that do
this that easily?  Just curious.  Not trolling.

I haven't seen one that does, but maybe someone has.  Was definitely an
eye-opener.

Nate