Debian rocks [was Re: [clue-tech] HP 2133 netbook]

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 10:38:00 MDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 9:06 PM, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:
> dennisjperkins at comcast.net wrote:
>>
>> OS is Suse or Windows.
>
> Suse, ugh.

Ditto here. Have you ever looked at the insane mess they've made of a
brain-dead simple job - setting up Apache?

< My new job is a step up from my old in that I get a RHEL 4 box
> to work on (which is *great* compared to Solaris 8 or Windows).  But I have
> to build software for RHEL 4.  It doesn't come with yum or any other sane
> DIY repository system.

You can put up yum as an add on. We use it on our RHEL4 systems, but
you still need a license and the up2date crap to get updates.  Yum
comes standard on RHEL5. If you value your sanity, just put up CentOS.
They've been using yum since the get go, and they usually do a lot
better testing before release than RedRat does.

> I shouldn't complain because we're decades ahead of my old project.  But
> dang Debian has spoiled me.  Everyone wants an OS that comes with "support"

No everyone doesn't. Just the legal beagles and those they control at
major corporations. The need to have a contractual entity to sue if
the thing goes belly up wins out over common sense every time. Most of
the time, Red Hat support is never used, and when you do try to use
it, one fairly typical result is that your environment (hardware and
software) doesn't match the minuscule set of possibilities they
support, and thus they are not interested in helping fix the problem.

This isn't a complete put down of Red Hat. Their software is usually
rock solid on servers where the hardware and software typically is
within the minuscule supported range.

But, for my own use, I prefer the D option.

--
Collins Richey