Fwd: [clue-tech] DSL modem issue?

Mark G. Harvey markgharvey at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 14 09:29:57 MDT 2008

I too use a Cisco 678 ... its very stable and seldom requires a reboot.  Good gear is worth the money.  Craigs List or eBay are great sources for used quality gear if you know what you want.

I've put my Cisco 678 into bridging mode & have a firewall behind it holding my public IP address, which is issued via DHCP from the Qwest DSLAM at my local CO.  I'm at 5 Mbps down / 1.5 Mbps up.  Could get up to 20 Mbps if I was willing to purchase a newer modem  (due to the faster service being a different DSL protocol) & increase my bandwidth costs.  At this point, its not worth it.  Maybe it would be if I were using VoIP & streaming media to a TV.

HTH