Fwd: [clue-tech] DSL modem issue?

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Thu Oct 16 12:35:03 MDT 2008

Nate Duehr wrote:
> Mark G. Harvey wrote:
>> 3 sites that offer a speed test ...
>>
>> http://www.broadbandreports.com/  > Tools > Speed Test > select flash
>> or java based test
>>
>> http://speedtest.nethere.net/
>>
>> http://speedtest.knology.net/
>
> www.speedtest.net if you have Flash works pretty good too...
>
> I'm not going to seriously dogpile on the "anti-Qwest" sentiment, but
> another great local ISP if you're more into small shops than giant
> corporations, is of course... Front Range Internet, Inc.  (FRII)
>
> I used them for years and years, but couldn't beat the fast
> "commercial" speeds on a special contract with Comcast for a couple of
> years.  I'll be shopping again after that, if Comcast doubles the rate
> to the normal price for the commercial service... especially since
> "commercial" has meant virtually nothing during outages, no reports or
> updates when things go out... no special customer service.  It's
> pretty much a residential circuit with static IP's, is all it is...
> not even an SLA.
>
> Nate
I haven't been watching all the threads so excuse me if I miss the
target, but I did see mention of FRII.  I used them for several years,
tried really hard to back them because I like to back local, but
nickel-dime syndrome and other issues drove me away at light-speed.  I
found that their tech support/knowledge in webhosting was far inferior
to what I am now getting through hostgator.  Their custom web cPanel
type accounts interface was a convoluted mess. Calling in, talking to a
custserv rep and setting up a simple webhosting account was a lengthy,
timely ordeal.  -Bob