Fwd: [clue-tech] DSL modem issue?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Oct 16 13:26:50 MDT 2008

Bob Meetin wrote:
> I haven't been watching all the threads so excuse me if I miss the
> target, but I did see mention of FRII.  I used them for several years,
> tried really hard to back them because I like to back local, but
> nickel-dime syndrome and other issues drove me away at light-speed.  I
> found that their tech support/knowledge in webhosting was far inferior
> to what I am now getting through hostgator.  Their custom web cPanel
> type accounts interface was a convoluted mess. Calling in, talking to a
> custserv rep and setting up a simple webhosting account was a lengthy,
> timely ordeal.  -Bob

That's interesting.  They weren't really into "hosting" back when I was
using them, so maybe they have some challenges ahead if they want to
handle that type of customer (you).

Back when I was using them, "hosting" was "here's the server, feel free
to set up your own website".  :-)

Nowadays it's cPanel and silly web interfaces and all sorts of things to
distract you from actually building your website... or maybe they
help... I dunno.

I have no need of "hosting" in the modern sense with all the bells and
whistles.  I have Apache and on one system, Wordpress.  They seem to
work on any machine I've loaded them on, without needing a "web panel"
to set them up.  :-)

Nate