[clue-tech] Android?

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Thu Sep 25 11:29:33 MDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 10:12 -0700, Brian Gibson wrote:
> Just like I expected.  The G1 from HTC does not have feature parity
> with the iPhone.  So my plan to buy and use the iPhone 3g now and to
> upgrade to a second or third generation Android phone, has already
> paid off.  The killer app for me is the browser (and map application)
> and from what I heard the G1 browser is slow.  I also must be in the
> minority, but I actually prefer a touchscreen over a keyboard.
> However, I also wish there was copy and paste.  Here's hoping it will
> be included in a future update.

The phones feature parity is more the phone makers fault than Android.
The Android environment is pretty feature rich so it's just a matter of
building the apps to use those features.
http://code.google.com/android/reference/packages.html

As for cut/paste, Android already has some support for this, such as:
http://code.google.com/android/reference/android/text/ClipboardManager.html

There may be other clipboard styled APIs, but I haven't dug deep into
that area.  I wrote some simple apps for it when Android was initially
released, but haven't played with it in quite some time.

--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org