[clue-tech] case type

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Sat Apr 11 15:39:47 MDT 2009

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 11:51:35 -0600
Collins Richey wrote:

> Here's a stupid question. How does one tell the form factor of a
> computer case (atx, or ...)? I have an old but still usable case with
> a dead motherboard, so how do I know what kind of replacement board
> would fit?

Does your case have a replaceable IO shield, kinda like these:

http://www.censuspc.com/Back-Panel-I-O-Shields-c-39.html

? (and the Mysterions)

I haven't looked at an AT case for a while. Could be the IO shield is the
same dimensions. A new mobo should come with an IO shield, but check that
it does before you buy.

Also, the ATX mobo / power supply have different connectors than AT. So
you'll need a new one of those.

See: http://tinyurl.com/toms-on-at-atx

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, and you'll need to remove the IO
shield from the case, and replace it with one that fits your mobo's
arrangement of ports.

jed