[clue-tech] Google Android

erik at ezolan.com erik at ezolan.com
Wed Jan 7 12:38:51 MST 2009

> Here's an interesting twist on the OS hacking aspect of Android:
>
> http://mobile.pcworld.com/htmlsite/html_article.php?id=1&CALL_URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcworld.com%2Fbusinesscenter%2Farticle%2F156267%2Fstartup_founders_turn_android_into_desktop_os.html
>
> Excerpt:
>
> "Now, Matthaus Krzykowski and Daniel Hartmann, founders of the stealth
> startup Mobile-facts, have found that you can take Google's smartphone
> operating system, Android, and use it as a desktop operating system."

Yep. I'm seeing a lot of devices pop up that use Android as it's OS.

I never would have predicted this coming from Linux. Phone OSs always
seemed extremely proprietary.

Well, this is one thing that Apple can't compete on. Unless they make a
major change to their philosophy and start allowing their OSs to be
installed on non-apple hardware.