[clue-tech] Re: Google Android

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Fri Jan 9 08:56:25 MST 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 07:05 -0700, Sean LeBlanc wrote:
> I haven't looked into what Android uses for GUI, but if it's using Swing,
> you may want to consider Netbeans for the Matisse aspect. For GUI apps that
> I do write, I use Netbeans for the GUI bits, and Eclipse for the other
> classes, Ant, etc....

FWIW, I wrote code for Android without an IDE.  It's pretty easy.  I
used cscope to browse the code and make global changes where necessary,
but for the most part I do it all in vi.  Their sample code is pretty
well documented.  Note:  I didn't write anything overly complex.  This
was back when they first released Android and I was just experimenting
to see what the API was like.

Android doesn't use Swing or SWT or AWT.  It has it's own UI based
around a concept called Activities and a manifest file that describes
the UI components.  There are also android widgets.  See
http://code.google.com/android/reference/android/widget/package-summary.html

I think the tutorials on the android web site explain how to use
eclipse, but I skipped the eclipse part since it's easier for me to just
read the APIs.
--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org