[clue-tech] Mail server questions

Silas Martinez silasm at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 20:55:03 MST 2009

Your own mail server is absolutely a worthwhile learning exercise. That
said, for me, it stopped being interesting when it took more time than I
wanted to devote to email. Properly managing an email server used to be a
fairly time-intensive labor (or perhaps I was simply a lot less skilled with
it than I should have been).

These days, I'm interested in getting mail working well enough to send mail
from the server for handling error notification/web forms/etc etc. I'm not
interested in running pop or imap or the like, much less dealing with
spamassassin, rbl, relay config, and all that fun stuff - with regards to
mail delivery, either I'm working in a large organization where they want
full messaging/meeting/calendaring solutions (ergo exchange/notes/something
equally horrible and out of my domain) or its small enough that google is a
great solution.

I'm so out of touch these days with mail server config that I don't even
know if things like mail relaying take the time they used to.. Postfix was
pretty recent back then, IIRC, and qmail was the greatest thing since sliced
toast. I'm no longer interesting in having 'mail administrator' be a major
part of my role. Ugh. Lots of things are more interesting (for me).

Good Luck!