[clue-tech] Copying System to New Drive

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Mon Oct 19 18:52:11 MDT 2009

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 18:22:05 -0600
David L. Anselmi wrote:

> > I'm 99% sure that's a transcription error on my part, and I did do
> > setup (hd0).

And, the 1% error strikes. Really, my certainty that I setup (hd0) was
misplaced.

> The embed errors you got seem to happen when you set up hd0,0, not hd0.
>   E.g., see the transcript at:
>
> http://osdir.com/ml/boot-loaders.grub.bugs/2005-02/msg00013.html
>
> What problem are we working on again?  I looked at the CLUE archives
> and saw many (old) threads about grub.  I'm not much help since I don't
> remember the one you're looking for.

Moving the system to a new partition. In my case, I had gotten a crc
error on boot, and found various possible errors, but what got the most
web votes (i.e. forum replies, etc.) was a data error on the kernel
checking itself as read from disk. Given the 40GB IDE drive I was using
was getting long in the tooth, I decided that was indeed the most likely
problem. Granted, could be something else, but a memtest ran to
completion without errors. And if I get that error again, well, I'll have
spent money on a new HD, but $45 isn't the end of the world.

I'll note that getting all the UUIDs replaced in menu.lst is an important
step as well. :)

There was a Clue-Tech thread, probably not specifically on that topic,
maybe an installfest thread, where we got tangental onto the subject of
how to move your install. I had really thought I'd find it doing a search
of "clue-tech collins jed", since Collins replied to me in it, and then
I'd just have to backtrack a couple messages. I tried some other searches
as well, no luck. Maybe I'm hallucinating. Or it wasn't on Clue-Tech.

Well, no matter. We now have a Tech thread for people to find, with a
topical title.

jed
--
Ok, so we should be thinking of a lovable, cuddly, stuffed penguin
sitting down after having gorged itself on herring. Still with me?