[clue-tech] Copying System to New Drive

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 19:57:03 MDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 4:29 PM, Jed S. Baer <cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net> wrote:

> All seems simple enough. I did get a couple of errors when I ran
>  setup (hd0,0)

The correct sequence for a manual [re]install of grub is

grub
root (hdx,y)    - this is the PARTITION where your /boot/grub directory resides
setup (hdx)    -  this is the DRIVE where the MBR is to be written (usually hd0)

Of course if you are trying to install grub via a new partition that
has different grub executable, you may need to chroot after doing all
the usual extra mounts to the appropriate partition.

hth,

--
Collins Richey