[clue-tech] Copying System to New Drive

mike havlicek mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 20 13:20:43 MDT 2009

--- On Mon, 10/19/09, Jed S. Baer <cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net> wrote:

> From: Jed S. Baer <cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net>
> Subject: Re: [clue-tech] Copying System to New Drive
> To: clue-tech at cluedenver.org
> Date: Monday, October 19, 2009, 6:52 PM
> On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 18:22:05 -0600
> David L. Anselmi wrote:
>
> > > I'm 99% sure that's a transcription error on my
> part, and I did do
> > > setup (hd0).
>
> And, the 1% error strikes. Really, my certainty that I
> setup (hd0) was
> misplaced.
>
> > The embed errors you got seem to happen when you set
> up hd0,0, not hd0.
> >   E.g., see the transcript at:
> >
> > http://osdir.com/ml/boot-loaders.grub.bugs/2005-02/msg00013.html
> >
> > What problem are we working on again?  I looked
> at the CLUE archives
> > and saw many (old) threads about grub.  I'm not
> much help since I don't
> > remember the one you're looking for.
>
> Moving the system to a new partition. In my case, I had
> gotten a crc
> error on boot, and found various possible errors, but what
> got the most
> web votes (i.e. forum replies, etc.) was a data error on
> the kernel
> checking itself as read from disk. Given the 40GB IDE drive
> I was using
> was getting long in the tooth, I decided that was indeed
> the most likely
> problem. Granted, could be something else, but a memtest
> ran to
> completion without errors. And if I get that error again,
> well, I'll have
> spent money on a new HD, but $45 isn't the end of the
> world.
>
> I'll note that getting all the UUIDs replaced in menu.lst
> is an important
> step as well. :)
>
> There was a Clue-Tech thread, probably not specifically on
> that topic,
> maybe an installfest thread, where we got tangental onto
> the subject of
> how to move your install. I had really thought I'd find it
> doing a search
> of "clue-tech collins jed", since Collins replied to me in
> it, and then
> I'd just have to backtrack a couple messages. I tried some
> other searches
> as well, no luck. Maybe I'm hallucinating. Or it wasn't on
> Clue-Tech.

Close to a year ago I posted to Clue-Tech when I was moving a system from one drive to another and simulating the procedure using flash sticks with a focus on getting the grub mappings consistant. My sent mail was "Avoiding device mismatches with grub" around 12/1/08. That was a question. It looks like from my hand written notes I was doing something like:

grub> device (hd1) /dev/sdb
grub> root (hd1,0)
grub> setup (hd1)

-Mike