[clue-tech] Hosting rec.?

David Guntner davidg at akamail.net
Wed Aug 4 17:43:11 MDT 2010

On 8/4/2010 3:29 PM, Jon B grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
> Good afternoon all.
>
> I am looking for recommendations for a hosting provider.  They need
> to be able to support:
>
> -basic website hosting
> -Joomla
> -site management interface
> -hosted email and spam filtering
>
> Also it needs to be a real bargain, as the organization - for which I
> inquire - is a church?

I'm a big fan of DreamHost, myself.  Have used them for a number of
domains that I host for years and they've always taken good care of me.

They're running Linux servers, have a nice web panel interface, allow
full shell, and a bunch of other things.  There are also several
software packages that they make available as "one-click installs" that
can be installed via that panel, thus saving you having to do that part
yourself.  I *think* Joomla is one of the packages they support via that
method.  Of other software that you want, just login to your shell and
install it the old-fashioned way. :-)

They have very generous amounts of disk and bandwidth that they make
available.  I think they've got an 11th-anniversary special going on now
where if you sign up, you get unlimited of both (and as long as you
maintain the account, you'll be able to keep that).

If you decide to go with them, I'd appreciate it if you'd include my
E-Mail address when they ask about who referred you, so I can get a
referral credit. <grin>  Or, you can click on the link below, and if you
sign up during the same session, there'll be a session cookie set in
your browser that tells them who referred you and you won't need to
remember my address:

http://www.dreamhost.com/rewards.cgi?142294

Like I said, I've been with them for several years and have been really
happy, overall.

> Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

You're welcome. :-)

              --Dave