[clue-tech] same partition, multiple distros questions

Mike Bean beandaemon at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 21:36:46 MDT 2010

So, I have a question for the group.  I've been thinking about partitioning,
and experimenting on a desktop that doesn't have anything I'd consider
valuable on it.  I got to trying this idea of sharing partitions, for
example, mount a different logical part for /home, /root, etc...etc...  At
first I even tried having both distros use the same boot.  (In retrospect,
not my brightest moment.)  But I seriously came to wonder, Why couldn't they
use the same swap?  System wouldn't run them both at the same time, so they
wouldn't need to share!

By product of all this experimentation, is that I've been getting lots of
different kinds of errors of different forms,  things not initializing
right.  Elements of the shell not initializing...etc....  I wanted to ask,
which partitions can belong to more then one distro?  If any?  And does it
need to be a physical or logical part?  I realize I could save myself allot
of hassle if I'd pick one distro and just run it, but I tend to enjoy the
linux buffet.  Sample a little of everything.

To put this in perspective, the main schema I'd been using for most of the
day.  #1) physical - 250mb /boot, #2) physical 2048mb swap, #3) logical
120GB root, #4) logical 500GB home,  #5 logical 120 GB root 2nddistro home

Going to try to come to the meeting this month, seeing as how I spend all
day working with ESX, it doesn't make sense for me to miss a clue meeting on
virtualization!

Thanks,

Mike Bean