[clue-tech] same partition, multiple distros questions

Christopher Cross g1ccross at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 22:15:15 MDT 2010

Swap is not always OK because things like suspend to disk may use this
to store your system state. If you want to share swap it should be
fine as long as your suspend to disk is pointed to a file rather then
your swap space.

/boot should also be fine to share as long as your boot loader is
configured correctly for each distributions kernel and root path and.

/home may give you issues because of personal settings for different
versions of the same application. As long as your UIDs and GIDs match
up between distributions you should not have to much trouble with
/home/user but any change you make in one distribution to a users
personal settings will carry over and may be incompatible with
whatever version of whatever application is on the next distribution.
If you create unique users for each distribution you may get around
this but some users home directories could be left insecure because
the permissions will match another users UID. It is probably not worth
the headache it can cause.

Every other directory is going to have distribution specific things in
them. Binaries, libraries, and system settings that may not be
compatible between your chosen distributions will cause nothing but
problems.

With all that said, I just do not think sharing partitions on a
multi-boot system like this is worth much. If you want to share some
data then create a separate data partition.

Christopher Cross
g1ccross at gmail.com