[clue-tech] Specific brands/models of PCMCIA wireless cards?

Bruce Ediger bediger at stratigery.com
Thu Sep 16 18:37:49 MDT 2010

I'm looking for specific brands/models of PCMCIA wireless cards that
work well with Linux.  Ideally, they should work with "aircrack" tools,
and Kismet, too.

I had a TI ACX100-based card, but it seems to have suffered some kind
of radio failure - the driver continuously recalibrates it.  Not too surprising,
I pulled it out of a geriatric Linksys WAP-11 router/access point.

I bought a Belkin F5D9010 ver.3000 card.  It's RT2661 based, and no driver
seems to work with it.  The 2.6.35.4 kernel driver doesn't even load the
firmware.  The RT2x00 project's development version doesn't seem to set the
hardware address correctly, and may not do anything else right either.

The legacy driver, which I got to compile fairly easily against Slackware 11.0,
doesn't seem to be able to associate with any access points.

So, after my Belkin bad trip, I'm looking for very specific recommendations.
Anyone got any tips or hints?