[clue-tech] Custom partition scheme?

marcus hall marcus at tuells.org
Tue Sep 21 10:45:32 MDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 10:16:04AM -0600, Mike Bean wrote:
> Hopefully this isn't too much of a new guy question to ask, but I figure
> how's the time to make mistakes while I'm still planning.  I've cobbled
> together some HW with the intention of using it as a backup server. As it
> turns out, unless you do a custom partition scheme, Fedora uses logical
> volumes as OS disks. Given the context, I don't really understand what's
> to be gained from LVMs.

Agree with that..  I've had one server get completely trashed when it lost
the LVM info.  I could get the original configuration, but some of the
partitions had been resized (that's the point, after all..) and the info
about the extra extents was lost..

> So I thought I'd ask for advice on partitioning
> schemes.  Currently I've got a 5GB root, a 250MB boot, a 2GB swap, and
> the largest drive completely held over for /home.  All advice is
> appreciated.

It might be good to have a 5GB or so /var partition.  I don't know what
all packages you are going to be installing, but root+var might have a
hard time fitting into 5GB.

Also, /var gets written a lot, and it seems a good idea to try to reduce
the number of writes into the root partition to reduce the chance of
corruption.

When it comes time to do updates, especially updating to the next release,
having enough space in /var is important.

marcus hall
marcus at tuells.org