[clue-tech] Custom partition scheme?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Sep 21 19:33:53 MDT 2010

David L. Willson wrote:
> There are three reasons to use LVM:
>
>   - Resizing of logical volumes (partition equivalents)
>   - Creation of snapshots (partition-image equivalent, with no down time)
>   - Addition and removal of storage devices

To me the first (and in some cases third) are good enough reasons, even when I can schedule down time.

You made a 250MB /boot.  What will you do when your kernel + initrd top 125MB and you no longer have
room to upgrade to a new one?  (Oh, /boot is less than 18MB for me currently.  Why the heck are you
wasting so much space?)

What if your 5GB is too small for /var?

I don't think about sizing my partitions anymore.  Even if you make the whole drive /, LVM allows
you to add another disk with little effort or planning.