[clue-tech] Application support / further development

Chris Tubutis ctubutis at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 29 20:48:30 MDT 2010

My personal observations are that e-mail-based forums have been
losing popularity to the Web-based forums such that e-mail lists don't
see much traffic anymore. This is especially true in the non-technical,
social forums inhabited by lusers.

I subscribed to my first Web-based forum just a few years ago and
have to agree with this move; for presenting threaded information in
a concise and more easily searchable (IMHO) format, the Web
forums rock!

I find it much easier to merely scroll the mouse wheel up & down to
see comments made by many people all at once.

Public Web-based forums are indexed by google which can make
searching easier. The forum software I'm used to is VBulletin by
JelSoft, I have to say google has spoiled me and the forum's built-in
search feature is nowhere near as useful as google.

Similarly, looking at the threads available merely involves scrolling
the mouse wheel.

I can access it from any Internet-connected computer (which is
also true of yahoo, hotmail, etc. but some people still store mail
on their local computers).

Businesses like this format because they can inject advertising
everywhere, but AdBlock Plus takes care of that.

Assuming everything remains as e-mail forums, I don't really care
if jobs stuff gets posted to the -tech variant as there isn't enough
traffic for me to be bothered.

However, those who are interested only in the job postings may
prefer the lists be separate so they don't have to subscribe to the
tech forum to find the job postings.

-ct