[clue] [tech] AT commands for sending SMS on Novatel/Verizon USB stick

marcus hall marcus at tuells.org
Wed Apr 13 08:50:14 MDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 07:03:39PM -0600, Jim Ockers wrote:
> Hi Will,
>
> I read the wikipedia page and the application I'm building could be
> accurately described as a SMS Gateway.  It will have an ethernet
> connection, web interface/application, and internal applications to
> handle sent & received messages.  I can accomplish this with a USB
> cell phone modem and a Linux box.  (But not if the stupid* Novatel
> USB modem has no AT commands for sending & receiving SMS messages.)
>
> We aren't going to trunk into any telcos with SS7.
>
> Jim
>
> *I'll retract the "stupid" characterization in the event someone
> from Novatel gets back to me with some helpful AT commands.  Their
> web site is spectacularly unhelpful with regards to this.
> --
> Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
> Contact info: http://www.ockers.net/msi.html

There is a standard extension to the AT comamnd set that is used to
talk to a GSM phone attached through the data cable.  I don't recall
the etsi spec at the moment, but after a quick search the following
looks like a pretty good tutorial:

http://www.smssolutions.net/tutorials/gsm/sendsmsat/

The basic command to send the SMS is "AT+CMGS", so searching for that
gives a lot of relevant tutorial web pages if this is insufficient.

marcus hall
marcus at tuells.org