[clue] [tech] AT commands for sending SMS on Novatel/Verizon USB stick

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Wed Apr 13 10:05:14 MDT 2011

Hi Marcus,

marcus hall wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 07:03:39PM -0600, Jim Ockers wrote:
>
>> Hi Will,
>>
>> I read the wikipedia page and the application I'm building could be
>> accurately described as a SMS Gateway.  It will have an ethernet
>> connection, web interface/application, and internal applications to
>> handle sent & received messages.  I can accomplish this with a USB
>> cell phone modem and a Linux box.  (But not if the stupid* Novatel
>> USB modem has no AT commands for sending & receiving SMS messages.)
>>
>> We aren't going to trunk into any telcos with SS7.
>>
>> Jim
>>
>> *I'll retract the "stupid" characterization in the event someone
>> from Novatel gets back to me with some helpful AT commands.  Their
>> web site is spectacularly unhelpful with regards to this.
>> --
>> Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
>> Contact info: http://www.ockers.net/msi.html
>>

> There is a standard extension to the AT comamnd set that is used to
> talk to a GSM phone attached through the data cable.  I don't recall
> the etsi spec at the moment, but after a quick search the following
> looks like a pretty good tutorial:
>
> http://www.smssolutions.net/tutorials/gsm/sendsmsat/
>
> The basic command to send the SMS is "AT+CMGS", so searching for that
> gives a lot of relevant tutorial web pages if this is insufficient.
>
> marcus hall
> marcus at tuells.org

Thanks, that link is actually helpful, and when I was getting text
messaging to work on the Sierra card on AT&T I used a page like that to
figure out the AT commands. The reason I punted and posted to the CLUE
list looking for help is because none of those commands work with the
Novatel USB stick. Behold:

ati
Manufacturer: NOVATEL WIRELESS INCORPORATED
Model: MC760 VERIZON
Revision: Q6085BDRAGONFLY_V139 [Jul 02 2009 18:00:00]
ESN: 0x5B4F8091
+GCAP: +CIS707-A, CIS-856-A, +MS, +ES, +DS

OK
AT+CMGF=1
ERROR
AT+CMSP?
ERROR
AT+CMGS="+9702601261"
ERROR

All of those commands work fine on the GSM modems I've tried. This
device is CDMA on Verizon and every GSM SMS command returns ERROR. The
web page you referenced contains information about GSM modems only. If
this Novatel CDMA device supports SMS text messaging the information for
how to use it is very well hidden and hard to find!

Thanks,
Jim