[clue] python (function return array) [programming]

Mike Bean beandaemon at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 19:18:25 MST 2011

OK, I'm pretty sure this is a fairly novice question, but I'm working a
project on my own and my attempts to suss the solution have met with
limited success.
I'm writing mostly similar code over and over again, bad me.  But I have to
be able to return a list/array, and I don't know if return statement can
handle more then just a single variable.  So for example, I realize your
generic scenario is

def function()
     variable="whatever"
     return(variable)

newvar=function()
print("newvar")

but I want to know is what's wrong with my logic in this sense:

def function()
     my_array=[1,2,3]
     return(my_array)

new_array=[(my_array)]
for x in new_array:
     print(x)

testing has met with no success obviously.  I'm assuming it's because an
array is not the same thing as a generic variable.  In any case, any
suggestions/guidance from folks with experience in programming/python is
appreciated.

Bean