[clue] [OT] Comment about contentious subjects

Kevin Fries kfries6 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 13:11:46 MST 2011

-----Original Message-----
> For those that have heard enough "off topic" chatter, you should be able to
> set an auto-delete rule on "[clue] [OT]" in the subject line, and that
> should end the noise for you.
>
> If you don't know how, give me a call in the evening, and I can help you do
> that over the phone in most client programs, or with a quick remote session
> over VNC, Yugma, or WebEx.
>
> I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
My only problem with this statement is that why are we eliminating all
these lists, then telling end users that if they don't like it, filter
out what they don't like.  How about not dumping onto them contentious
subjects, admin stuff, etc in the first place?

I am all about freedom of speech.  But I also think that there is a time
and place for everything.  One could talk about all the positive aspects
of Adolf Hitler such as dramatically improved literacy rates, near
elimination of poverty, and a number of other positives that Hitler's
reign brought. But, a Jewish Synagog is probably not the appropriate
place.  You can also talk about all the evil Adolf Hitler did like the
concentration camps, experimentation on humans, attempted world
domination, etc.  But again, probably not at a skinhead rally.

There needs to be a time and place for everything.  And if someone wants
to discuss Aldolf Hitler with me, lets meet at the Barstool
Philosopher's group, or privately for coffee.  But this is CLUE,
Colorado Linux Users and Enthusiasts.  Not a political forum.  If the
topic is about some legislation that effects operating systems,
therefore effecting Linux either directly or indirectly, then it is
appropriate in this forum.  You want to talk about god, then it better
be documented proof about how god loves Linux and hates Windows and
Mac.  Otherwise, you really need to find another forum.

Bringing contentious topics into this group does not make this group
stronger, it only gives reason for people to leave.

To paraphrase one of the great teachers in history: Render unto Caesar
what is Caesar's, and unto Linux what is Linux's.

Just my $0.02
Kevin