[clue] [TALK] Please hurry up and get CLUE Drupal website working

YES NOPE9 yes at nope9.com
Mon Jun 6 09:40:47 MDT 2011

> On Jun 5, 2011, at 9:06 PM, Matt Dew wrote:
>

>> Raymond
>> I would be happy to discuss with you how CLUE can be run as a
>> multi-experimental club where everybody does what they want and enjoy.
>> In case you were not aware of it, the latest server meeting pre-empts
>> the work that was done earlier on the website and mail-list. ( see
>> previous meeting notes ) The political heavy-hitters went to the meeting
>> and the direction of the effort changed. Boom ..... in a heart-beat ...
>> like the word was laid down. I chose not to go to the meeting and I
>> think that was wise. I plan to do my own website fun project. Maybe CF
>> will help me out .... maybe not .... no problem either way.
>>

> Mwhahahahaha.  <full guteral belly laugh>
>
> Preempting previous work? Political heavy-hitters?  You're joking right?

No joke   .... although I agree that this is not as "life and death" as say .... taxes.

> I went to this meeting and I can assure you I'm not a CLUE heavy weight,
> heck I'd bet 90% of CLUE people dont' know who I am. I'm just some
> normal grunt who made time to attend. This meeting was advertised
> repeatedly, several weeks in advance soas to give people as much time as
> possible to plan so that whoever was interested could attend.  It was on
> a weekday because some people were not able to attend during the
> weekend.  If you chose not to attend, that's your decision, but you have
> _zero_ right to complain of the outcome.  Eventually you have to fish or
> cut bait.

There are many sides to this story ..... I had been setting things up .... getting a trial membership with RackSpace.com , running a test with Google Groups ...... all of this was done after discussion with people who were going to the meetings.  Then a new meeting is called and people who had never attended a meeting announced they were coming. These were the political heavy-hitters.  I realize they were concerned with making the CLUE website work properly, with making sure the club is doing good things.  Their approach however is very heavy-handed.  And I am sure it was done with love.  Note that I am being told "  you have _zero_ right to complain of the outcome " .  That does not sound too cool.

> Look folks, this is just a website, non-technical people do this every
> day.  We're not creating a new form of government. Get over yourselves.

This club has a form of government.... just because it is a club does not mean it does not have a structure.  The question for me is.... what kind of structure.

> CLUE has spent ~3 weeks on something a high school student could have
> done in an evening. (~3 months if you consider Crawford's issues.)

The website project was largely completed and then there was a problem and the whole thing was jerked largely into oblivion.  Not massaged or managed .... just set aside and a uni-lateral pronouncement was made to start over.  That's why I attended all the earlier meetings and skipped this latest one.

> I'm
> not familiar with bluehost and I don't care. I know CLUE folks love
> repeatedly talking about the same thing over and over and over and over
> and over and over, rather than actually doing anything but I for one, am
> _VERY_ happy that someone finally made a decision and we can move
> forward. (Actually 6 people came to a consensus.)

And earlier ... in other meetings ... other people came to a different consensus.  So how about going forward with what was determined over the course of several earlier meetings and that was already in progress ?    Well ... that did not happen because some heavy hitters said it was not going to happen.  That's life... that's club politics and maybe that is what everyone wants.  I want to at least keep the facts straight.

> Now, the question is,
> will there be follow through or will the whiners start complaining loud
> enough to stop everything and we'll continue on in the current position?
>  I'm hoping and rooting for actual progress, but the force is strong
> with the whiners and complainers on this list.

Read the earlier emails about meetings.  If I wanted a dictatorial leader, I would have joined the "Nazi club for seniors".   ( see Godwin's law ......  also feel pity for seniors ha ha )

> Is anyone in CLUE actually interested in doing something as opposed to
> just talking about doing something (or whining,complaining)?

I guess I am in the club to have fun , do things and not get rail-roaded. I am happy to have this opportunity to rebut statement made about what has happened and is happening.

Having said all that ...... and admitting I am not perfect .....  Mwhahahahaha.  <full gutural belly laugh>   ...... I will be working on setting up some projects that CLUE lurkers may be interested in participating in.  See.... I can be positive.

99guspuppet

For information, account preferences, or to unsubscribe see: