[clue] MS visual basic

Jon "maddog" Hall maddog at li.org
Wed May 11 08:22:33 MDT 2011

Louis,

> If your serious about getting into developing on Linux use an IDE that is
> "Linux friendly". You also have to decide what language you are going to
> start with. If your a beginner I would suggest don't jump right into an IDE.
> my suggestion is you should learn how to write code and use the command line
> tools (like the compiler, linker, debugger) first - THEN go to an IDE. I
> started me life as a developer out learning BASIC on a Commodore 64, then
> moved into hacking a little assembly on it. Then I moved onto 'C' on the
> Commodore Amiga. I used the Lattice/SAS 'C' tool set - I used a text editor
> to white my code in. It was a GREAT learning experience to learn to use a C
> compiler, linker, debugger and to write my own make files and such. I didn't
> move onto using an IDE until I was well into my "professional" career. IDE's
> are a nice thing - they are good for increased productivity as they take a
> lot of the "monotony" out of some of the developers tasks.
>
> Don't feel overwhelmed by learning to program. You just have to decide on
> what language to start with. You also should have an idea of what kind of
> things you want to program - applications, games etc.. Sometimes that can
> give you a clue as to what language you should start with.

I have been in computers for over forty years, and although I don't
write much code anymore, I have written my fair share.

I will echo Richard Knechtel's advice to you with one caveat, and that
is to start with an interpretive language like Python, which allows you
to concentrate on programming and programming style and not get as tied
up with libraries, compilations, make files, etc. at this early stage.

If you are really "learning to program" that you go to your favorite
bookstore that has a good computer science section and look through some
books on "beginning Python programming" that do a step-by-step
introduction, complete with examples that start off simple and get more
complex.  Choose a book at your level.

Also look for books on programming "style", ways of structuring your
code for readability, maintainability, etc.  And books on User Interface
Design and database usage, to keep you from re-inventing the wheel.

As a *second* language move on to the language "C" and Richard's
suggestions.  "C" will allow you to go as low and as high as you want,
to "hang yourself as high as you wish"....but by that time you may have
learned enough to avoid really bad habits.

And yes, there is a "PyDEV" plug-in for Eclipse that allows you to use
Eclipse as an IDE for Python, when you are ready.

Finally, welcome to the world of life-long learning.

md