[clue] [TALK] I have been told ( privately ) to shut my face.

dennisjperkins at comcast.net dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Mon May 30 09:45:27 MDT 2011

Welcome back!

You probably don't know everything that happened. Your fixes seemed to work at first, then on May 21 the server locked up and we couldn't get it. VPSLink rebooted it (late Sunday I think) and it locked up again on Monday. Dave Anselmi asked us if we should switch back to the old website for now and I said yes because we had an Installfest coming up and it was more important that people get infomation about it. Dave then switched us back. Besides, how often will VPSLink reboot it before they tell us to fix the problem? Gus disagreed and felt that I should not make decisions by myself. It was the nature of his disagreement that spurred someone to tell him he was out of line.

Mark Harvey is looking at the logs. We had a lot of segmentation faults and kill failure messages after we switched. I don't know why because what you did should have lessened the load. Memory does seem to be the problem. Alex Llera took a look at what could be done to optimize the server and offered suggestions. It might be a good idea to do a VM with only 256MB and see if it has problems.

We will have another server meeting this Thursday evening. I know you don't like weekday meetings but I want others who can't come to a Saturday meeting to offer suggestions. Suggested hosting providers at this time are Rackspace, Amazon and Bluehost. Personally, my preference at this time is Bluehost. Cost is definitely an issue. If we need to increase cost, let's keep it to a minimum. People will not want to donate money all the time.

Chris Fedde set up a website for us to test with. Restoring to it has uncovered a problem that I am trying to track down. We can't log in via the normal route. I can do so via a backdoor but I cannot make any changes.