[clue] social engineering

Grant Johnson grant at amadensor.com
Fri Apr 27 16:19:23 MDT 2012

Another fun little thing is when you get a link to a fake site that wants your info. A little PERL, a little curl, and they get tens of thousands of records of plausible but random data. At least make them work for it. It is also fun to report kernel.org or distrowatch to the bsa for distributing linux.

Chris Ernst <penguin-guy at comcast.net> wrote:

On 04/27/2012 12:25 PM, David L. Willson wrote:
> That was excellent. I just got a call from Nigeria or something.
>
> "Sor, dere's a prooblem wid your computer..."

HA! I got the same call a couple of weeks ago. I decided to play along
and be a stupid as possible to waste as much of his time as I possibly
could. A manual tar pit, if you will....

I was asking questions like "Where's the start button?", "Won't that
turn of my computer?", "Wait... do mean the power button?", "How do you
spell 'www'"....

After about 5 minutes of me trying not to laugh and him getting
extremely frustrated, I think he finally figured out that I was just
screwing with him. Suddenly he just said "I think you waste my time"
and hung up.

	- Chris

For information, account preferences, or to unsubscribe see: