[clue] Gigabit ports and cables?

Adrian Nagle anagle at naglenet.org
Thu Dec 27 10:44:18 MST 2012

What are my chances of actually getting gigabit speeds?  How to I check if
my network cards are compatible?  It is essential to have cat5e cables?

I had to replace a network switch in my family room and only now realized
gigabit switches are common.  Now I'm deciding if I should replace my main
network switch at my server to gigabit.  I need to get at least 8 ports
which is starting to get expensive for me.

My computers are two years old, except my server is a decade old.  I had my
house wired for ethernet last year. House cables are stamped with cat5e.
But my random cables between equipment and switches are not cat5e.

I do occasionally transfer some large encrypted containers and camera
picture and video files between my computers and server (not a big deal
though).

Thanks!
Adrian