[clue] 501(c)3

Raymond DeRoo rderoo at deroo.net
Fri Feb 17 07:10:35 MST 2012

Paul--

> Here is an interesting news article on how the IRS can cause pain over
> 501(c)3 status, by making formal recognition difficult.
> http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/claim-irs-won-t-grant-richmond-tea-party-tax-exempt-status_629931.html
>
> I just did a fast check on the internet, and apparently, the IRS says
> that normally filing the form for formal recognition takes 4 hours to
> understand, and 8 hours to fill out. I believe all the forms and
> information can be found on line. Actually, I think it should be
> do-able, but it is just a matter of time. I think I could invest some
> time on this, if there are people who want to do it -- I mean working
> as a small group. Let me know.
>
> (I don't think I understand who my e-mails are going to when I send them).

I believe the issue is a number of member do *NOT* want to see CLUE
become a 501c3. There has already been talk of forking a different group
from CLUE. I could see that CLUE filed for 501c3 status that there would
an exodus of members. I have enjoyed the informal and loosely organized
nature of CLUE to date. Now, I could be wrong and that most other
members do want to see a more formal CLUE. Perhaps it would be best to
see what the larger group desires. As officer elections are soon to be
held, I think it would be good if there was a clear direction the
membership would like to see the club taken.

Raymond