[clue] revisiting boot partition and LVM + grub

Aaron D. Johnson adj at fnord.greeley.co.us
Tue Feb 21 16:20:14 MST 2012

mike havlicek writes:
> I always put /boot on a dedicated "traditional" partition but have
> been thinking about LVM and seem to recall somewhere sometime ago it
> being suggested that /boot could be on a logical volume. It seems
> that it was more a grub issue...???
>
> Any pointers to why /boot can or can't be on a logical volume. IE
> possibility/impossibility of building a system that can boot from a
> single disk with only "8e" partition type?

You don't mention what distro you're running, but there's an article
with some promising information to be found at
http://jim.studt.net/depository/index.php/debian-lenny-and-grub-with-boot-in-lvm

I can't say if there are any distro installers that support it at this
point.  I don't recall it being an option with Fedora 15, and it's
definitely not something the Debian 6.0 installer can handle.

[I had a big bunch of text in here describing my setup, but it's not
really relevant (/boot is in an MD RAID1 mirror, not on a logical
volume, and there are _no_ type 8e "partitions" (GPT, baby!).]

Let us know how it goes.

- Aaron