[clue] revisiting boot partition and LVM + grub

Will will.sterling at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 16:38:06 MST 2012

Fedora switched from Grub Legacy to Grub 2 in Fedora 16.  There should be
nothing holding back a fresh install from not having /boot on the same
logical volume as /.

As to the why..
Grub Legacy relied on loading a file system, /boot, to continue chain
 Grub 2 gets around this by loading the first block of a stage 1.5 image
directly from a block address on disk.  That image then has the drivers to
load LVM, MD RAID, etc. and continue up the chain.