[clue] Website software

Dan Kulinski daniel at kulinski.net
Fri Jan 27 09:10:18 MST 2012

You could use a static page, but I think everyone wants to see a dynamic
collaborative site.

Drupal offers a frame work that many people have built plugins on.  It is a
CMS (Content Management System).  These afford the following capabilities:

   - Permission based editing
      - This means people can be assigned roles and allowed privileges over
      a basic browser
   - Database storage
      - This allows for content to be stored in a backend that can be
      harnessed by multiple facets of the website
   - Consistent theme and presentation
      - Having a consistent theme and presentation just ties a website
      together.  Authors just write an article, the theme formats it.

These are just some of the benefits of a CMS and the ones I find most
valuable.  As for forums there are multiple choices.  We can use the built
in forum module for Drupal or phpBB can be dropped in and integrated with
the Drupal authentication database.  I have successfully run a phpBB forum
before and I am willing to set this up with Drupal access.  phpBB offers
some nice features, like notification by email and subscription to topics
and tapatalk integration if you want to use it with your mobile smartphone.

Dan Kulinski