[clue] [CWE] Website software, Simplify, Decouple

Dan Kulinski daniel at kulinski.net
Fri Jan 27 17:15:48 MST 2012

I can see your point about long term maintenance.  But drupal isn't hard.
In fact, it is pretty darn easy and there are lots of sites that contain
information about the software.

As for decoupling the parts, I have problems with this too.  If you want a
rich, dynamic site, the first priority should be ease of use.  Drupal and
phpBB provide a streamlined mechanism for this.  When you go to create an
article or a blog post you get a single consistent interface.  When the
time comes to change the theme to the site then it is a simple change and
you don't have to expect people to know the in's and out's of particular
browser CSS support.

As for the email component, here are my thoughts.  The mailman web
interface, as far as I can tell, is a batch of CGI scripts and probably
doesn't lend itself well to integration.  Considering the complexity of a
maillist, I agree that these should not be closely integrated as an update
to one could easily break the other.

Dan Kulinski