[clue] HTPC systems?

Mike Nolte obiwanmikenolte at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 00:07:52 MDT 2012

Sean,

My favorite HTPC/arcade setup to date used a FoxConn barebone system, a
dual-coax HD Homerun, and an X Arcade dual joystick with glorious, glorious
trackball.  It ran Mythdora, subscribed to a scheduling service, and I
could both watch and control it over the Internets.

You didn't specify why you want an HTPC, so I'm assuming you want something
small, quiet, and responsive.  You didn't specify what kind of video files,
size, or how you intend to access them.  Those are all important
considerations, but the largest for me was the Wife Factor.

The obvious mistake in marrying me aside, she's a smart woman.  When she
sits down to watch her stories, though, she's not going to mess with
restarting X, Apache, or troubleshooting stale NFS handles.

Another important point is that Netflix and Amazon don't stream to Linux,
nor do they apparently plan to.  So, both of the PCs currently connected to
my TVs run Windows, and my HD Homerun and X Arcade are collecting dust on
the Bookshelf of Shattered Dreams.  Plan accordingly.

Mike