[clue] Web Hosting Question

Darrin Goodman darrin.goodman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 15:07:18 MDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Tom Martin <toms_jeep at yahoo.com> wrote:

> 1) Web hosting and domain registrar company recommendations
> 2) Should we host on Windows or Linux servers....
> ...but I may use Front page only cause I already own it.

Hi Tom,

I'll echo Dan's words here... please avoid using Frontpage. It does create
a lot of extraneous code that can be difficult to read and is completely
unnecessary.  If you need to use a WYSIWYG type of IDE, Dreamweaver is the
best commercially available web authoring tool in my opinion.  However, you
can also check out some tools that are freely available:
- Kompozer: http://kompozer.net/
- Amaya: http://www.w3.org/Amaya/

As far as server platform goes, it kind of depends on if you plan to run
any specific software or scripting languages on your server.  I like using
Linux hosting as it tends to suit my needs better, but if you plan to be
writing in ASP classic or .NET, you'll want Windows.  In my own completely
unofficial tests, although PHP and MySQL will run on Windows, I have
experienced faster page load times while running the same web applications
on a Linux box (*not a truly fair comparison, even though the Windows
server was much more robust than the older Linux box that I use for
testing...*).  Before proceeding, it would be good for you to figure out
what sort of technology you plan to implement and then decide on a server
platform.

I personally use GoDaddy.com for hosting and domain registration, as do
most of my clients.

-Darrin