[clue] Web Hosting Question

M Paul Webb hsechmvt at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 19 15:16:27 MDT 2012

It sounds like you are doing a simple, static site. For a host, any company that does not irritate you at least somewhat is charging way too much. For a dynamic site you have to be more careful. At any rate, you have to get to know the games a host plays, and then circumvent them. Then you have basic service that is good and very cheap.

I don't know that using Front Page is practical. If you want a GUI, and you appear to be talking Windows, you might try Serif WebPlus. You should be able to get an old version very cheap on e-bay, and it is quite good. It will take some time to learn, but there are tutorials on YouTube that are good. Even PagePlus X2 is still good -- in fact, you should be surprised how fast you can do sophisticated stuff, but people do not come to a website to be overcome by the design. (And WebPlus has a very helpful forum. Also, with Serif you are in a DTP environment, and these people know a lot of stuff on communications, the best fonts, spacing etc. and all kinds of things about life). However, it does not take long to learn html and css, if you get the right books, and a text editor gives you complete control over design. Then you can use a program in Linux like Gedit. It's nice.

At any rate, you should want to get involved in a web design forum (not overlooking that some of the best are DTP focused), that has professional designers. You learn stuff fast and accurately there, and it is top notch advice. Hopefully, there will be some European designers, who are quite good, but their layout and color concepts do not transfer well from their culture to an American one -- but they know the technical stuff so well, and the importance of proper placement and lines of communication.