[clue] Web Hosting Question

ed ezedtheamerican at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 10:14:53 MDT 2012

I don't know if this has been covered before , but I will ramble a bit about
setting up a server....
setting up a webserver is simple.
just get an apache software package and install it forward some ports in your
router and you are up.
setting up a secure webserver is more difficult, you have to know which package
make your webserver secure and how to configure the apache server to implement
the modules.
then there is the email that is not too difficult if you understand what a mail
transfer agent is and what a mail server is, but knowing these two items leave
you with no web client interface to access you email... so you are stuck with
outlook, evolution, or thunderbird, or something similar.
so if you want an email web client like http://yourdomainname.com/mail you
have to choose one, and that isn't too difficult but you have to know how to
set it up so that it works with both the mail server and the webserver...
so on you go and install all of the above packages and dependencies, but you
have no spam filter or anti-virus, which is not needed for the OS but to stop
the spread of viruses through email so now you have to know how to integrate
anti-spam and anti-virus into you email server....
and I haven't even got into virtual domains and users, something you will not
need if you just plan on running a simple server with one name.
of course you need to setup the hostname before you install the packages and
each of these core packages I mention have there own specific configuration
files that really need to be configured properly.
I looked for a big picture image to illustrate the basics but all I found was
this
http://workaround.org/sites/default/files/ispmail-lenny-bigpicture.png
so I guess it will have to do.
I use a dynamic name server service I suggest you do the same
regardless where you put your webpages ie, your own machine or
otherwise..
ed.