[clue] FOSS: Graphics Arts and Designs.

Dan Kulinski daniel at kulinski.net
Tue Mar 6 16:05:55 MST 2012

Actually I think Blender and GIMP could easily have many multiple hour
sessions on training.  I have used both in passing to know that my artistic
ability is basically nil.

Blender would need a bit of time just on the interface, that is first
learning curve.  Making simple 3D objects is easy and quite fun.  After
that a tutorial on UV mapping would be required.  It is, at least to me,
very difficult to imagine unwrapping a 3D model onto a flat 2D surface. The
node based rendering system is yet another section which has profound
implications on the final product.  Your simplified explanation, while
giving a quick overview, doesn't really express the power of this system.
In fact, you really do need to have some knowledge on the 3D pipeline in
order to really maximize the use of the node system.

The GIMP is a similarly complex system.  There are basic operations you can
do with it that are easily teachable but doesn't put it much higher in
capability than a basic paint program.  GIMP has the capability of adding
layers to a photograph, manipulating each layer separately or in fact
combining layers to add certain effects.  GIMP also has many, many filters
that require some mathematical or at least previous knowledge.  Also, GIMP
has many script-fu utilities that can simplify some not so simple tasks.

I am not willing to give talks on these tools and I feel it would be a
disservice to the power that these things represent.  I do use GIMP quite
frequently for photo touch-ups and some artsy project, usually DVD labels.
Every once in a while I get the Blender bug and fail quickly to obtain what
I want.  I am in awe of people that can maximize their potential in these
tools.

Dan Kulinski