[clue] Flowchart for choosing an OS

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed May 23 19:31:34 MDT 2012

David L. Willson wrote:
> Maybe I'm being too RMS about this, but it seems to me that "Do you care about freedom?" should
> be the first question.

I think it's funny that Debian isn't FSF endorsed.  They consider the restrictions possible in GPL3
and GFDL as non-Free, so you could say the FSF isn't endorsed by Debian.  I wonder what the FSF
objects to about Debian (heck, they even call it GNU/Linux).

You're right though, I think their sequencing needs some usability testing.

> Lot's of cool ideas for OS hoppers like me, but not really a functional flowchart, and the legend
> seems to be borken, or is Windows 7 really using the ReactOS kernel?

I think the shades of blue are too subtle.  You have to look really close to see that LFS is "Not
real operating systems" (?!) rather than "Windows NT Kernel".

I'm not sure I'd call Plan 9 "Unix like", even if it runs GNU.