[clue] 17" Linux-based laptop

Thu Oct 11 15:10:03 MDT 2012

My friends are warned that there may be some mild ranting in this post.

I don't think it's unpatriotic to buy things as cheaply as possible, but it may be short-sighted. Have a close look at the food industry. Often it's better to consider what goes into what you buy. Also, some person I listened to somewhere said that we (Americans) had better be good at making something other than money, because the value of money can vary greatly over time. Ask anyone on a fixed income about that.

With regard to "Microsoft Tax", I know that it is offset by the benefits of standardization. Standardizing on Windows is far less expensive for a maker than testing their machines with other OS's. So, even after the maker pays $15 to $100 per license for OEM Windows, the overall cost to the customer is less than a comparably-equipped box with the user's choice of OS.

It really depends on your goals. If you want power/price, buy your machines with Windows, and that'll be good for you, but not interesting to me, off-topic to this list, and off-topic to this thread. ie: You're ignoring an important part of my problem set.

0. I run Linux almost all the time, because it makes me happy. When I run Windows, I want to cry and stab my face. Buying a cheap off-the-shelf laptop is not a good option for me, because of the risk that the hardware won't fully and immediately support Linux.
1. I care about Linux and the whole Free software thing. Helping that to grow is a part of my life's mission. Sending my money to eRacks is an attractive option. Sending my money to Microsoft is not an option.
2. I care about some games, somewhat. I love Minecraft and Descent and I look forward to buying Left for Dead 2 when doing so sends a pro-Linux vote. I don't have time to play every game, and getting the games to run is often more fun for me than playing them. Yes, I know that's perverse, and I don't care.

So, mind the OP, and the Subject, please. I'm looking for a big honkin' Linux-based laptop, not just a laptop. If you're looking for something else, great, but don't hijack my thread.

I ~know~ I'll pay a premium to get ~my~ laptop. I pay extra every time I buy Humble Bundle, and I give money to charities, too. I do it on purpose.

If you have a solution that is better than the eRacks laptop, great, but please don't change the problem to fit your solution. Imagine how annoyed you'd be if you asked how to do something in Exim, and someone told you how easy it is to do the same thing in Exchange, because "they do the same thing" and "the first two letters are the same". Their answer might be interesting to them, but it's distracting noise in the search for an answer to your problem.

Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast
RHCE Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 Ubuntu
Mobile 720-333-LANS(5267)

This is a good time for a r3VOLution.