[clue] Cluster load balancing.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Apr 1 22:28:28 MDT 2013

Chris Fedde wrote:
> Will a tiny VPS work?  I have 128M/5G/250G from Front Range Hosting for
>   $2/mo.

We might be able to streamline to the point where that works.  The last time we talked about size we
were unhappy that 512M isn't enough for drupal.  We're currently using 256M (not counting cache) so
some things would have to be done differently.  I suppose we could use 2 or 3 of those to spread the
load and maybe still come out ahead.  And there are potentially cheaper providers.

> DNS round robin is about as reliable as any global load balancing scheme.
>   The main technical problem is that you cannot control client caching.

I don't know what's needed or available for handling nodes that go down.  Even without over
engineering it there would need to be more than I know how to do (so far).