[clue] Cluster load balancing.

Duncan Fedde duncan at fedde.us
Mon Apr 1 23:24:18 MDT 2013

If you don't like the tiny VPS, AWS offers there smallest compute cloud for
about $9 a mouth. It has worked pretty well for me so far (hosing
a WordPress blog that can handle about 1,000,000 hits a day easily). plus
you get the first year free and can be upgraded/downgraded at will with
vary little effort(can even be automated via there api).

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 10:28 PM, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us>wrote:

> Chris Fedde wrote:
> > Will a tiny VPS work?  I have 128M/5G/250G from Front Range Hosting for
> >   $2/mo.
>
> We might be able to streamline to the point where that works.  The last
> time we talked about size we
> were unhappy that 512M isn't enough for drupal.  We're currently using
> 256M (not counting cache) so
> some things would have to be done differently.  I suppose we could use 2
> or 3 of those to spread the
> load and maybe still come out ahead.  And there are potentially cheaper
> providers.
>
> > DNS round robin is about as reliable as any global load balancing scheme.
> >   The main technical problem is that you cannot control client caching.
>
> I don't know what's needed or available for handling nodes that go down.
>  Even without over
> engineering it there would need to be more than I know how to do (so far).
>
> Dave

Duncan