[clue] raytheon linux-jobs

Mark G. Harvey markgharvey at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 18 22:03:50 MST 2014

My concern is with management doing something that the troops view as not good & driving them away.  Especially when two experts depart at the same time.

I'd say great for the two heavy hitters moving upward & onward.  We all should have such upward mobility.

2 points on perception; using myself & my wife as examples

Her:  My wife has worked for a Fortune 50 company for 18+ years.  Most of it from home with occasional travel.  Very stable.  She's working her way up the corporate ladder.  It works for her.

Me:  Been in contracting for the better part of 20 years, mostly as a Systems Admin / Eng.  Had my own S-corp for 10+ years.  Contracting by its very nature is up / down with the economy & customer budgets.  I'm grateful if a project goes for a full year.  Customer budgets rule.

Unfortunately, some recruiters view the up & down as instability, which shows me they don't understand the nature of business.  They take the "HR" view.  I started my business to get around this hurdle & reach the business decision maker.  Sometimes I succeed; sometimes not.  That's life.  No one owes me a living.

Back in 1998, I worked for Raytheon over at Centre Tech.   Raytheon acquired that Hughes facility & started layoffs.  So after 5 months, I was hunting for work again.  I'd consider working there again.  But the commute from Lakewood would be brutal!