[clue] PPC yaboot issues

Aaron D. Johnson adj at fnord.greeley.co.us
Tue Mar 22 10:58:20 MDT 2016

Will Jones writes:
> Long time lurker, first time poster.  I have an old powermac g5 that
> I tried installing Debian on, which didn't work at all, so I tried
> installing ubuntu, which worked well, but for some reason yaboot
> does nothing.  It just sits on the boot screen giving me options for
> booting from cd or the hard disk.  I was wondering if there was
> anyone out there that is familiar with yaboot.  MY eventual goal is
> to try and install something along the lines of wgentoo, I am fairly
> familiar with installing it on amd64 hardware.

Do you get no prompt from yaboot?  I had Debian 8 running on an Xserve
G5 (it's very pretty!) recently, but the system board has pretty much
quit.  Not powering on at all anymore.  And about one week after I got
rackmount hardware for it.  :(

Being a weird person, I did a network install and I'm 99% sure I had
GRUB running instead of yaboot.  (The install media _did_ run yaboot,
though.)

I've got some notes about the install I did.  And, if you're
interested in Debian instead of Gentoo, I'm sure I can image the disk
that's in it and put it somewhere you can dd it onto a drive and run
from that.  There _may_ be console complications, as I never had a
monitor hooked up, but it did run...

- Aaron