[clue] PPC yaboot issues

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Mar 23 14:50:05 MDT 2016

Will Jones wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Long time lurker, first time poster. I have an old powermac g5 that I tried
> installing Debian on, which didn't work at all, so I tried installing
> ubuntu, which worked well, but for some reason yaboot does nothing. It just
> sits on the boot screen giving me options for booting from cd or the hard
> disk. I was wondering if there was anyone out there that is familiar with
> yaboot. MY eventual goal is to try and install something along the lines of
> gentoo, I am fairly familiar with installing it on amd64 hardware.

How does installing Ubuntu achieve your goal to install gentoo?

It looks like you can use grub2 on a PPC Mac. Maybe in Ubuntu that requires getting it booted first
so that may not help. But if you can find an installer that uses grub2 it might be better supported
(or at least more familiar to the rest of the world).

Are you using a new-ish Ubuntu? Did you look at their bug list?