[clue-talk] surveillance cameras

Kevin Cullis kevincu at viawest.net
Sun Sep 23 17:09:12 MDT 2007

On Sep 23, 2007, at 3:02 PM, Michael Fierro wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 10:31:04AM -0600, Kevin Cullis wrote:
>
>> The real question is: is our Government really trying to create a
>> totalitarian system or is it really protecting our nation? Those of
>
> I want to know what happened to the bravery that used to define being
> American. "Give me liberty, or give me death." "We have nothing to
> fear but
> fear itself." The current administration continues yelling, "be
> afraid, be
> afraid of those terrorists who are trying to kill you and your
> children," and
> then they proceed to take away our liberties.
>
> Where is our bravery?

What liberties have you personally lost?

>> So, regarding cameras, if the cameras are for protecting from evil
>> doers, then I'm all for it, but if the cameras are to protect the
>> government from it's problems and/or illegal activity, take them
>> down.
>
> So many years later, and the words of Benjamin Franklin are still
> relevant:
> "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little
> Temporary
> Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

What essential liberties have we lost? You mean cameras over the
streets? If a police car was in the right place at the right time and
catches you speeding, are you saying your liberties are lost because
you're under surveillance?

If you read this story maybe you'll think twice, and these amounts of
money were small, in the amount of a few hundred dollars each time:

> In June, Italian officials broke up the ring with the arrest of
> four people, three in Milan and one in London, after examining
> financial records showing a steady transfer of funds allegedly used
> to recruit Islamic extremists and send them to terrorist training
> camps in Afghanistan.

http://www.jihadwatch.org/archives/018065.php

Many of our actions during WWII were, while not very nice, were also
appropriate to the threat during that time, albeit some of it
overblown for the threat. But now with the threat of a dirty nuclear
bomb, the threat has become even more tangible. With the amount of
interstate traffic and goods and services that are moved around,
expect that this will happen in my lifetime.

Kevin